Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lessons from Gajendra's pastime

False shelters are namesake, only Krishna is the ultimate protector and shelter:
Gajendra was the King of elephants and he enjoyed high influence over other animals, prestige, recreation and 5 Star enjoyment ( in the beautiful lake with his many wives), he was hardworking (sparying water on his wives and children) and also responsible as he maintained his large family. However inspite of such enjoyment and status when calamity struck none of his assets above could do anything to protect him.

Sukadeva Goswami narrates in SB 8.2.28:"Thereafter, seeing Gajendra in that grave condition, his wives felt very, very sorry and began to cry. The other elephants wanted to help Gajendra, but because of the crocodile's great strength, they could not rescue him by grasping him from behind"

None of the false shelters that give us a sense of security during the course of our life can do anything for us in our times of difficulties and also in our advancement in spiritual life. What are the false shelters: money, relationships, high education, position, etc. Only Lord Krishna's mercy can help us and is of true benefit. In Gajendra's case his false shelters could not help him, neither his own strength as he tried fighting on his own for 1000 years.Only when he remembered his past life and surrendered to the Lord that he was saved from the greatest calamity.

The false shelters are temporary. However I still find solace in these false shelters and derive my confidence from those and not from the surety of Krsna's protection. This is strong bodily identification. I Pray to Krishna that He situates me in the position of the spiritual identity of servant of the servant- only then will I be able to take shelter of Krishna only and none of these false shelters.

He desires full relase from material life and the present danger

Maya will attack us where we are the weakest: Gajendra was pulled into the water and he became drained of all his energy fighting in the water as he was not an animal of water.

SB 8.2.30: Thereafter, because of being pulled into the water and fighting for many long years, the elephant became diminished in his mental, physical and sensual strength. The crocodile, on the contrary, being an animal of the water, increased in enthusiasm, physical strength and sensual power.

Similarly Maya will lure us by attacking our weaknesses - we may have a weakness for power or fame. We might be doing our devotional service only for that purpose and not for pleasing Krishna. Maya will give us a service which satifies such weaknesses and gradually we will be blinded and fall down. So how can we become strong- there are so many areas we are weak?

Srila Prabhupada states in the purport to this verse "The soldiers in this Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement must always possess physical strength, enthusiasm and sensual power. To keep themselves fit, they must therefore place themselves in a normal condition of life. What constitutes a normal condition will not be the same for everyone, and therefore there are divisions of varṇāśrama — brāhmaṇa, kṣatriya, vaiśya, śūdra, brahmacarya, gṛhastha, vānaprastha and sannyāsa." By serving in the normal condition of life our weaknesses will also be dovetailed in Krishna's service and will eventaully become purified. By chanting Hare Krishna all the cleansing will happen. So we must chant sincerely and beg to Krishna for strength.

Sincere rigourous practice is very important:
Like Gajendra we may have all the material facilities and enjoyments and also some major troubles going on in our life. Gajendra atleast came to the understanding that You are the only shelter and he offered such beaitiful prayers to You. However I find that during miseries I am spending my energy only to counteract them. I only briefly realize that You are the Supreme controller and I am powerless and You are the only shelter. However I am mostly on the side of trying to control the situation adn not accept it as Your mercy upon me. I become callous towards You again. Please save me Oh Krishna. Gajendera offered such beautiful prayers even when he was in so much pain with his leg in the mouth of the crocodile and the struggle for 1000 years. Yet he offered such eloquent prayers to the lord. This was the result of very sincere and concentrated practice which pleased the Lord and the Lord reminded him of the prayers he had learned in His past life as we see in

SB 8.3.1: Śrī Śukadeva Gosvāmī continued: Thereafter, the King of the elephants, Gajendra, fixed his mind in his heart with perfect intelligence and chanted a mantra which he had learned in his previous birth as Indradyumna and which he remembered by the grace of Kṛṣṇa.

Because of the gratitude King Indradyumna had in recieving Agastya Muni's curse he got the rememberance of his past devotional activity by the grace of Krishna.Please bless me Oh Lord that some sincerity develops in my heart towards wanting to be with You. I am caught on and attracted to the false shelters and think they will carry me through. Please help me understand that You are the only true object of all affection and service and You are the only protector and benefactor. Please help me surrender to You.

Please bless me so that I can diligently carry out devotional service unto You very mindfully and attentively so that when I am bewilidered by the turn of events, You will remind  me all the lessons I learned in bhakti.

Lord is the Supreme Benefactor and Supremely merciful:
In his prayers Gajendra offered wonderful prayers recognizing You as the Supreme Father(8.3.13), Supreme Director(8.3.14), supreme Cause(8.3.15),Supreme revealer of Knowledge(8.3.16) and supremely Merciful(8.3.17). He also said that he was covered by ignorance in an elephant's body and was attracted to material enjoyment.  Oh Krishna I am also covered by ignorance and I am attracted to material enjoyment.
Its amazing even before we offer our prayers You incessantly try to deliver us :
SB 8.3.17: .. Indeed, being extremely merciful, You incessantly try to deliver me. ... but I am unfortunate as I dont follow Your instructions and hear Your message because I am covered by the modes SB 8.3.16 : My Lord, as the fire in araṇi wood is covered, You and Your unlimited knowledge are covered by the material modes of nature. Your mind, however, is not attentive to the activities of the modes of nature. Those who are advanced in spiritual knowledge are not subject to the regulative principles directed in the Vedic literatures. Because such advanced souls are transcendental, You personally appear in their pure minds. Therefore I offer my respectful obeisances unto You.

Please remove this covering so that I can hear Your instructions and desire to be with You.
Thus Gajendra very humbly accepted his condition : I am covered, I have material qualities but I am sure of your protection because you are always trying to protect us abut because we are covered we do not hear.
Only when one surrenders can one feel the Lord's protection.


Please protect me:
Gajendra says SB 8.3.20-21: Unalloyed devotees, who have no desire other than to serve the Lord, worship Him in full surrender and always hear and chant about His activities, which are most wonderful and auspicious. Thus they always merge in an ocean of transcendental bliss. Such devotees never ask the Lord for any benediction. I, however, am in danger. Thus I pray to that Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is eternally existing, who is invisible, who is the Lord of all great personalities, such as Brahmā, and who is available only by transcendental bhakti-yoga. Being extremely subtle, He is beyond the reach of my senses and transcendental to all external realization. He is unlimited, He is the original cause, and He is completely full in everything. I offer my obeisances unto Him.


Srila Prabhupada states in the purport:"Unalloyed devotees have nothing to ask from the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but Gajendra, the King of the elephants, was circumstantially asking for an immediate benediction because he had no other way to be rescued. Sometimes, when there is no alternative, a pure devotee, being fully dependent on the mercy of the Supreme Lord, prays for some benediction. But in such a prayer there is also regret. "

No Lamentation:
When in difficulty the devotees are not lamenting e.g Draupadi, Gajendra, Kunti devi rather the are beautifully glorifying the Lord and His energies and are offering themselves humbly for the Lord's shelter
When the Lord came to save him , Gajendra inspite of his pain was welcoming the Lord by saying :"O my Lord, Nārāyaṇa, master of the universe, O Supreme Personality of Godhead, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You." He wasnt comsumed in the thought of how his misery would go away but rather he was very happy to see the Lord. By offering the flower he is actually saying "I am yours" inspite of any condition I am in , I am yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Earth --> Heavenly Planets-->Universe where the Lord's pastimes are going on--> Goloka Vrindavan

SB 10.1.23 The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who has full potency, will personally appear as the son of Vasudeva. Therefore ...