Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Death of the false ego - the Ultimate Annihilation

While reading Srila Prabhupada's translations of Srimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita we learn about the temporary nature of the material world. There are detailed descriptions of the creation of the material world, the gross and subtle bodies of the jivas and creation of related paraphernalia. Also there are detailed descriptions of how the creation is annihilated at the end of Brahma's day and at the end of Brahma's life.
In the 12th canto we see that just before Maharaj Pariksit is about to leave his body Sukadeva Goswami explains the 4 categories of Annihilation - An entire chapter is devoted to this topic just before Maharaj Pariksit leaves his body. 

While reading this chapter I was wondering that if Sukadeva Goswami considers this topic pertinent just before Maharaj Pariksit is leaving his body- it must be very important for us in the preparation for our final test.

Sukadeva Goswami describes in detail the annihilation at the end of Brahma's day , during which all the threee planetary systems are subject to destruction. He also describes the annihilation at the end of Brahma's life during which the seven basic elements of creation are annihilated during which the energies belonging to the Supreme Person and His unmanifest material nature, merge together totally becoming pradana. He also describes continuous transformation that living entities undergoes as another type of annihilation.
These descriptions help us understand the temporary nature of the world we are in.

Following such descriptions Sukadeva Goswami says the following verse to Maharaj Pariksit:




SB 12.4.34: My dear Parīkṣit, when the illusory false ego that binds the soul has been cut off with the sword of discriminating knowledge and one has developed realization of Lord Acyuta, the Supreme Soul, this is called the ātyantika, or ultimate, annihilation of material existence.


In this verse Sukadeva Goswami describes that the death of the false ego as the ultimate annhilation of material existence.

  • Since the creation is temporary and our bodies our temporary- all the things and desires we attach ourselves too are also temporary - they have no basis and contribution in our eternal relationship with the Lord.
  • All the emotions we feel on the mental plane of happiness , sadness, anger, distress, melancholy owing to our attachment to matter have no meaning because the same matter will be wrapped up into pradhan at annihilation.
  • All the disagreements,fear, feelings, strong emotions like envy and hatred are a total time waster because they are based on matter and matter will be merged together totall into pradana and will have no qualities.
  • All the things that make me happy like gadgets, clothes, furniture my house and my body will eventually be wrapped up in the annihilation.

If this is so, then it is foolish on my part to identify myself with the false ego that attaches itself to temporary matter.Instead I need to situate myself in my real ego- my real identity of being a servant of Krishna. Thus every action of mine must be governed by this real identity -everything must be done while staying in the relationship with Krishna.I need to give up the past, give up the feelings that are on the mental plane, give up the so called feelings of pain and so called feelings of hurt.They have no basis in my relationship with Krishna. As a true servant- I must just tolerate things that happen to me thinking that it is Krishna's will - I must tolerate things that are happening to me thinking that thpose are the doings of material nature- I should not identify with what is affecting my body or  my false ego because I am not the body and I am not my mind.

It is important for me to practice this now so that I do not have to deal with the pangs of my false ego at death.Its thus important for me to understand this and apply this in my life starting today.

Therefore these instructions of Sukadeva Goswami to Maharaj Pariksit just before his passing are an important instance for us to meditate upon.We need to throw out this weight of the false ego from our existence. Only then we can go deeper in ou relationship with Krishna.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful conclusion , NKM.... Totalllyyy agree with you and hope Krsna gives me more and more strength and knowledge while carrying out my material duties at the same time diverting all my useful time and energy into devotional service of the Lord fow which I find you as a great source of inspiration and motivation. Thank you for this particular note as you wouldn't imagine how much it has helped me in answerinfg the questions that I've been recently dwelling in.....now I find a proper sense of direction so I can lead the rest of my life into doing better things in life.....Hari Bol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sanji M. Appreciate your encouragement and am happy I was of some service. Just wished to add that considering this above post there is way to deal with the feelings that were mentioned. It is not that we ignore our feelings. slide them under the carpet and do not give importance to them - we deal with them in a Krishna Conscious way as our feelings are real. When I find time and understand it better myself- I will try to write about that

      Delete

Earth --> Heavenly Planets-->Universe where the Lord's pastimes are going on--> Goloka Vrindavan

SB 10.1.23 The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who has full potency, will personally appear as the son of Vasudeva. Therefore ...