Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Supreme Occupation

One of the verses that attracted me to Krishna Consciousness was the verse that explained the Supreme Occupation of all humanity:

SB 1.2.6:The supreme occupation [dharma] for all humanity is that by which men can attain to loving devotional service unto the transcendent Lord. Such devotional service must be unmotivated and uninterrupted to completely satisfy the self.

Some very powerful lines from Srila Prabhupada's purport:

"One should, therefore, accept the superior quality of occupation in the form of the devotional service of the Lord without any tinge of unnecessary desire, fruitive action and philosophical speculation. This alone can lead one to perpetual solace in His service."

"We have purposely denoted dharma as occupation because the root meaning of the word dharma is "that which sustains one's existence." A living being's sustenance of existence is to coordinate his activities with his eternal relation with the Supreme Lord Kṛṣṇa."

"The relation is one of the servant and the served. It is transcendental and is completely distinct from our experience in material existence. This relation of servant and the served is the most congenial form of intimacy. One can realize it as devotional service progresses. Everyone should engage himself in that transcendental loving service of the Lord, even in the present conditional state of material existence. That will gradually give one the clue to actual life and please him to complete satisfaction. "


Any dissatisfaction in the heart is only because of not being situated in our eternal identity of a servant of Lord Krishna. Matter can only leave us hankering and dissatisfied.If I am feeling dissatisfied in a relationship, in a conversation, in a service, in my life, etc it is because in those areas I am looking for satisfaction from matter, I am not acting from the position of my eternal identity- of a spirit soul who is a servant of Krishna. Anxiety, sadness and fear are material emotions- when I am feeling them I must remember those occur because of my identification with matter, the body. As an eternal soul - I am also sacidananda. Those emotions are not me , just like matter is not me- I must learn to not identify with those emotions and not act on them.

As a spirit soul part and parcel of Krishna I am also full of knowledge , eternity and bliss - I can experience that by following the devotional process and explicitly not identofying with matter.

Introspection Exercise

Concept
What I am doing well
Growth Areas for me
.Unmotivated

 Uninterrupted

 Completely satisfy the self

No comments:

Post a Comment

Earth --> Heavenly Planets-->Universe where the Lord's pastimes are going on--> Goloka Vrindavan

SB 10.1.23 The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who has full potency, will personally appear as the son of Vasudeva. Therefore ...