Friday, December 24, 2010

Securing ourselves in confusing situations

When Mother Yashoda sees the Universal Form in Baby Krsna's mouth she becomes worried and is not able to find out the real cause of that vision therefore out of maternal affection she simply offers obeisances to the Supreme Lord to protect Baby Krsna.

She says in 10.8.41:
Therefore let me surrender unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead and offer my obeisances unto Him, who is beyond the conception of human speculation, the mind, activities, words and arguments, who is the original cause of this cosmic manifestation, by whom the entire cosmos is maintained, and by whom we can conceive of its existence. Let me simply offer my obeisances, for He is beyond my contemplation, speculation and meditation. He is beyond all of my material activities.

Srila Prabhupada writes in the purport to this verse:
"It is said, acintyāh khalu ye bhāvā na tāḿs tarkena yojayet (Mahābhārata, Bhīsma parva 5.22). One should not try to understand the supreme cause by argument or reasoning. When we are beset by some problem for which we can find no reason, there is no alternative than to surrender to the Supreme Lord and offer Him our respectful obeisances. Then our position will be secure. This was the means adopted in this instance also by mother Yaśodā. Whatever happens, the original cause is the Supreme Personality of Godhead (sarva-kārana-kāranam [Bs. 5.1]). When the immediate cause cannot be ascertained, let us simply offer our obeisances at the lotus feet of the Lord."

From a lecture by HH Romapada Swami, on 'Srimad Bhagavatam 1.11.24-25', India, Oct-Nov 2008
When we are down, we should not take it that "Krishna is being mean" or "I am being punished". It's just our material condition. From the disposition of a devotee, it's not so much important to understand why the down instead of up. We try to just accept our position instead, with the understanding that "I am dependent. So, let me try to serve the Master". It's quite simple.

What should one do when Krishna's plan is not clear?[Question Meditation 40:HH Romapadaswami]
There are many situations when everything is bewildering and its very hard to understand why certain things are happening in a certain way.The going gets very tough. Or sometimes there is no clarity of what the future will hold. In such situations based on the example showed by mother yashoda here we must simply surrender to the Lord's plan and offer obeisances to him."You are the controller, the cause of all causes. Your plans are not clear to me but I have faith in You that this is the right thing for me.Please help me be patient and give me strength to go through this gracefully in the right mood.Please give me strength so that I do not get bewildered and commit any offenses. Please give me the strength so that I can surrender to Your will, I do not understand Your purpose right now and am very confused. In due course of time You will reveal Your plan to me. Till then let me be patient and let me take shelter of You through the Holy Names. I tend to get weak in my chanting in difficult situations. Krsna give me the strength so that I can chant nicely and cry out for You and take Your shelter."


10.8.42:
It is by the influence of the Supreme Lord's māyā that I am wrongly thinking that Nanda Mahārāja is my husband, that Kṛṣṇa is my son, and that because I am the queen of Nanda Mahārāja, all the wealth of cows and calves are my possessions and all the cowherd men and their wives are my subjects. Actually, I also am eternally subordinate to the Supreme Lord. He is my ultimate shelter.

Because of what I possess I feel I can control situations to my favor.Even when things are very difficult and beyond my control, I feel I can control them and make things work in my favor. Howevere I must realize that I am eternally subordinate to the Lord and His will and He is my ultimate shelter. He has taken charge of me and has arranged such situations for my purification. This is the wonderful reciprocation of the Lord.

Srila Prabhupada writes in the purport: " Nothing belongs to anyone but the Supreme Lord. Only because of illusion do we wrongly think, "I am existing" or "Everything belongs to me." Thus mother Yaśodā completely surrendered unto the Supreme Lord. For the moment, she was rather disappointed, thinking, "My endeavors to protect my son by charity and other auspicious activities are useless. The Supreme Lord has given me many things, but unless He takes charge of everything, there is no assurance of protection. I must therefore ultimately seek shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Earth --> Heavenly Planets-->Universe where the Lord's pastimes are going on--> Goloka Vrindavan

SB 10.1.23 The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who has full potency, will personally appear as the son of Vasudeva. Therefore ...