Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Devotees are special - The Lord is purchased by His devotees

In the pastime of Maharaj Ambarisha and Durvasa Muni - Durvasa Muni gets angry on Maharaj ambarisha for taking water to break his fast before offering Durvasa Muni any prasad to eat. He creates fiery demon to mill Ambarish Maharaj. However Ambarish Maharaj being an unalloyed devotee of the Lord does not get distrubed by the demon and the Lord's Sudarshana Chakra kills the fiery demon and then attacks Durvasa Muni.

To protect himself, Durvasa Muni starts running with the Sudarshan Chakra following him. He goes to Lord BRahma and Lord Shiva for protection but they say that they are also completely dependent upon Lord Vishnu and cannot do anything to stop the attack of the Sudarshan Chakra on him and they ask him to go to Lord Vishnu.

Lord Vishnu also says that he cannot help him as nothing in the world is greater to Him than his devotee.In the verses SB 9.4.63-9.4.71 Lord Vishnu speaks very highly of the surrendered devotees and also about His love for them. Since the devotees are so selflessly engaged in loving service to the Lord , the Lord is purchased by them and offers complete protection to them. Since Durvasa Muni acted out of consideration for himself and pride the Lord did not offer him the same level of protection as He offers to Ambarisha Maharaj

  1. I am under the control of My devotees SB 9.4.63  the Lord says :"I am completely under the control of My devotees. Indeed, I am not at all independent. Because My devotees are completely devoid of material desires, I sit only within the cores of their hearts. What to speak of My devotee, even those who are devotees of My devotee are very dear to Me." - the Lord indicates to Durvasa Muni that Ambarisha Maharaj is a devotee and one who becomes a devotee of a devotee is also very special to him- the right thing for Durvasa Muni to do would be to honor and respect Ambarish Maharaj. Also Srila Prabhupada says in the purport "** if one very sincerely serves the spiritual master, Kṛṣṇa certainly becomes favorable to such a devotee. Following the instructions of a devotee is more valuable than following the instructions of the Supreme Personality of Godhead directly." So we must first learn to surrender to devotees if we can do that then we can surrender to the Spiritual Master and then Krishna.
  2. I wish to be surrounded by saintly persons always SB 9.4.64 : "O best of the brāhmaṇas, without saintly persons for whom I am the only destination, I do not desire to enjoy My transcendental bliss and My supreme opulences." Krishna is so personal!
  3. Since they are selflessly working for My pleasure- I must be with them SB 9.4.65: "Since pure devotees give up their homes, wives, children, relatives, riches and even their lives simply to serve Me, without any desire for material improvement in this life or in the next, how can I give up such devotees at any time?" The Lord gives all protection to the devotees because they are trying to serve Him incessantly.How can the Lord then not give Ambarisa Maharaj protection?
  4. I am in control of My devotees SB 9.4.66 : "As chaste women bring their gentle husbands under control by service, the pure devotees, who are equal to everyone and completely attached to Me in the core of the heart, bring Me under their full control."
  5. Do not hurt My devotees - it pains Me :SB 9.4.68: "The pure devotee is always within the core of My heart, and I am always in the heart of the pure devotee. My devotees do not know anything else but Me, and I do not know anyone else but them." - Srila Prabhupada says " The Lord's feelings are like those of a father, who feels pain when his child is in pain. Therefore, offenses at the lotus feet of a devotee are serious. Caitanya Mahāprabhu has very strongly recommended that one not commit any offense at the lotus feet of a devotee. "
  6. I will forgive you, if you ask for forgiveness from Ambarisa Maharaj SB 9.4.69 : "O brāhmaṇa, let Me now advise you for your own protection. Please hear from Me. By offending Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, you have acted with self-envy. Therefore you should go to him immediately, without a moment's delay. One's so-called prowess, when employed against the devotee, certainly harms he who employs it. Thus it is the subject, not the object, who is harmed." Srila Prabhupada writes in the purport :"harmful activities directed against the devotee gradually become the ultimate cause of the performer's falldown. Even such a great brāhmaṇa and mystic yogī as Durvāsā was in a most dangerous situation because of his offense at the lotus feet of Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, a pure devotee"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Earth --> Heavenly Planets-->Universe where the Lord's pastimes are going on--> Goloka Vrindavan

SB 10.1.23 The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who has full potency, will personally appear as the son of Vasudeva. Therefore ...